Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Braided Calzone

Braided Calzone

One of the very first Pins that I tried after discovering Pinterest last summer was this delicious looking braided calzone...

 Here is the link to the original recipe: Braided Calzone

I realize now that I have given you the original link you have no reason to continue to read my post and I am okay with that.  I am not going to lie though.  This is one of those pins that I didn't actually open at the time.  I was just inspired by the picture and decided to try something new for dinner.  The first time I made this was right after Maddox was born and I only had time to do really simple dinners.  Nothing made completely from scratch and nothing that I needed to keep a constant eye on.  One of the main reasons that this picture particularly appealed to me was because I had most of the ingredients at home already.

Here is what you will need:

 Cookie Sheet
Pam
Corn Meal
 Refrigerated Pizza Dough (I will post my homemade recipe later) 
Butter Knife or Kitchen Scissors
Pizza Sauce
Shredded Mozzerella
Toppings of Choice

We usually just make a pepperoni calzone and I have found that these Hormel pepperonis work best:

They are really gigantic and are the perfect size to cover the entire calzone.

  First you will preheat your oven according to the directions on the refrigerated pizza dough.  While it is preheating you can start the work on your calzone.  Spray your cookie sheet with Pam and then lightly coat it with corn meal.

I think you will be okay if you don't have cornmeal.  This is one of those things that I have done since I started making homemade pizza back in college. (I know, I was really cool.)  I am sure that I read to do it in some recipe, but I don't know how truly important it is to keeping the dough from sticking.  I just continue to do it because I have never had any problems with the dough sticking and it makes the bottom of your pizza look just like it does at a fancy restaurant.  (Again, I know how cool I must sound.)

Then you will lay out your refrigerated dough and try as best you can to make it look like a rectangle.
After looking at this photo I realize just how badly I need to get back to making my own dough!  I will try and whip up a batch next week and I will post the recipe to share.
Now you are going to slice up the edges to be braided.  The first time I did it I used a knife.  It scratched up my nonstick cookie sheet and didn't cut evenly.  I would recommended using a (clean) pair of kitchen scissors.  I cut small little strips down each side until it looks like this:
 
Some people do not like to put sauce in their calzone, but I like to add just a bit down the center.  I just use a spoon a small amount out and make a very thin layer before I add the cheese.
Side-note about Sauce:  I have never been too picky about sauce for pizza or spaghetti so I have never ventured to make my own.  If you do make your own sauce you should definitely use it for this recipe.  I just bought a jar that I found in the make-your-own-pizza aisle.  I did read an article recently about how it is better to by jarred tomatoes rather than canned tomatoes because of the acid in the tomatoes mixing with the metal.  (Am I speaking too scientific for you?) I opted to spend $.07 more and bought the glass jar, but I have no idea if this is really something to worry about.  I tried searching for the article, but couldn't find it.
Anyways, after you spread out your sauce you can cover it with a layer of cheese. (This is where I like to justify that a calzone is healthier than a pizza.  You use a lot less cheese in a calzone, but you still get a great taste at the end!)  Now you can add your other toppings.  If you decide to use the gigantic pepperonis they cover the center very nicely.  Also, feel free to add some more cheese on those pepperonis.  If you leave a little bit of cheese in the bag then you can still tell yourself that it is healthier than pizza!
Once you have finished adding all of your toppings you are ready to start braiding.  Just simply fold down each flap rotating from side to side.  It will start to look like a braid the farther you go down.
You can't see it in the above picture (mainly because I forgot to take a picture of this next step), but I like to add various seasonings to the top to make the dough extra tasty.  When we lived closer to actual Houston we used to eat at a Place called Paul's Pizza.  Konrad especially loved that their crust was coated in all kinds of delicious seasonings.  Since then I have always tried to make tasty crust when I make a pizza or calzone.  You can use a jar of Italian seasonings or make up your own using garlic powder, oregano, and dried basil.

Now you are ready to pop it in the oven!  It should only take about 15-20 minutes to bake so keep an eye on it.  Of course we were so hungry when our calzone was ready that I forgot to take a picture until I went over to box up the leftovers.  This is what a half eaten calzone looks like:

Since you only use a little of the sauce inside your calzone eating it straight from the pan will be a little dry.  That's why I like to heat up the remaining pizza sauce in little bowls and we dip our slices to our own liking.  

Would I recommend this pin to a friend?  YES

I hope my little how-to was inspiring for you!  Let me know if you decide to try the braided calzone :)

1 comment:

  1. I will be trying the braided calzone!
    Thanks for the steps.

    ReplyDelete