Monday, September 10, 2012

DIY Shaving Lotion

Back Story: I'm not the most frugal person out there, but I definitely don't like overpaying for things when you can find a cheaper brand that does the trick just as well.  So, in an attempt to find the cheapest shampoo and conditioner without compromising quality I went a little too far and bought some VERY disappointing products.  I have had these bottles of barely used shampoo and conditioner in my guest bathroom for what I can only imagine is about two years. 

 Real Story: I've seen Pins for DIY shaving creams and lotions before, but I never really had any desire to follow through with one until I came across this one:


The picture (which is too incredibly huge to post) showed the main ingredients: Shampoo, Conditioner, Baby Oil, and Lotion. I immediately pictured those bottles in my upstairs bathroom and thought that I would finally have a reason to use them.  Don't ask me why I never just threw them out!
 
I've never really used shaving cream because I am not too fond of the rust circle that comes with keeping a can of shaving cream in a wet shower.  (And if I stored it elsewhere I would guarantee you that I would never remember to use it.)  However, I am well aware of the benefits of using something other than cheap body wash before scraping leg hair off with a metal blade!  OUCH!

So, DIY Shaving Lotion seemed like an answer to all of my problems!

Here is what you need:

1 cup conditioner
1 cup shampoo
5 TBSP baby oil
5 TBSP lotion


And here are the directions for the easiest Pin I have ever completed:

(NOTE: I went ahead and doubled the recipe since I had about 16 oz of the shampoo and conditioner left and wanted to get it all used at once!)

 Combine shampoo and conditioner.


Add lotion and baby oil.


Mix well and let sit for one hour.


In the meantime I rinsed and dried the empty shampoo and conditioner bottles.


I re-labeled them just for the heck of it.

 
 Then I used a funnel to refill them with the new concoction.


 And there you have it... the easiest Pin ever!  I don't have any 'in use' photos because shower photos would be creepy, but I will say that it works much nicer than body wash and leaves my legs feeling less beat up after a shave!

Would I recommend this Pin to a friend?  YES

1 comment:

  1. Very clever! I am not sure that I would try this since I don't have any left over products, but you were smart to use your products in this way. Mom

    ReplyDelete