Friday, September 14, 2012

Fork Cake Pops!

Last month I posted a how-to of my Oreo Cakeballs.


I told you how I wasn't the biggest fan of cakeballs, but they seem to be really popular with everyone else.  They are so popular that my chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma (a teaching organization) is planning to sell them at a fundraiser this weekend in order to bulk up our scholarship fund.  

We chose to make a classic chocolate combination of yellow cake, chocolate icing, and chocolate coating and we plan to sell them in groups of 4 for $5.  We also decided that it would be a good idea to sell individual cake pops in other flavor combos for $2 each.  Since this was for a fundraiser and the whole point was to raise money we thought it would be best to use plastic forks instead of the more expensive lollipop sticks.  

I only have only made one kind of "pop" treat before and that was when I bought a Pillsbury kit and attempted to make brownie pops.  They tasted fine, but did not look very good so I was a little nervous about trying cake pops for the fundraiser.  But, they actually turned out pretty great!!  Here's what I did...

I started the same way I do with cakeballs and baked a cake and mixed in icing.  For more directions, click here.

Then I formed the ball and inserted the plastic spoon near the base.

 
I made the cake pops bigger than  I do cakeballs since we plan to sell them for $2 each and I wanted people to get their money worth.  Even though they were bigger than normal they were still not big enough to fit the entire length of the prongs inside without having them pop out the other side.  You can see that I only put the prongs part of the way through the ball, but I still made sure there was enough prong to fully support the cakeball.  I felt much better about these than I did the brownie pops.  The fork is much more stable than a tiny candy stick!

After that I let them freeze like I normally do for cakeballs.


 
You can see that they took up a lot of room with all of those fork handles in the way.  I had to use two trays instead of one!

After they froze for a few hours I took them out to dip.



 
These were much easier than cakeballs to dip because I didn't have to worry about them following into the coating.  I did use a spoon to drizzle a small amount around the edge where the fork meets the cakeball so that there was no filling showing.

After dipping them I topped them with sprinkles and let them harden.


This happens to be a Funfetti batch mixed with vanilla icing and topped with vanilla coating.  I also made a batch of Oreo cake pops for the fundraiser.

I wrapped each on individually with cling wrap and curling ribbon.




I hope this post was helpful!  Let me know if you ever try out fork cake pops :)

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea! I like it much better than a cake pop, plus you can get more cake on the fork! I like that even better! MOM

    ReplyDelete